The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and NX 11
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- In the filename syntax special characters must be avoided.
NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Start the external STEP postprocessor with Translator -> STEP AP214 and select Import.
- Select Edit -> Settings and define the options:
(or interactive from NX 8.5) To export a STEP File choose File -> Import ->STEP203 or STEP214.
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface and Wireframe (depending on model).
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- A*.log and a *.def file will be created in the same directory as the imported models.
- Validation properties are supported.
NX – System
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- By choosing the menu option: Information -> Object -> Type -> Solid Body -> Select all correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).
- By choosing the menu option Information -> Object -> Objects -> Select all after choosing the filter for Solid Body in Information -> Object -> Filters -> Type Filter correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).