The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
- Two logfiles are generated (filename.ipr and stepoi.ipr):
- filename.ipr includes the import settings
- stepoi.ipr includes an import log
- The log files are written in the same directory as the STEP file.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing Module in Menu Surface Operators.
- If free edges are found in solid models, the Automatic Stitch-mechanism can be applied to merge free edges by changing default accuracy. For surface models, the edges that build the contour of the model remain free edges.