The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and CATIA V5R24 (V5-6R2014) (Dassault).
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- An adjustment of the STEP file is not necessary.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP File please choose File -> Open... and select STEP file.
- Recommended settings in the STEP import options (Tools -> Options... -> Compatibility) :
- It is recommended to set the Continuity Optimization for Curves and Surfaces for the C2 continuity on Automatic Optimization.
- STEP Assemblies created with the MAPPED_ITEM approach are not supported yet by the CATIA V5 translator.
- The import logfiles "filename.rpt" and "filename.err" gives further information.
- Validation properties are supported.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.
- Open.bodies are an indication of faces failures after the import of solids.
- The filename of the imported model must not have special characters.