The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and CATIA V4.2.5 with COM/STEP 184.108.40.206.
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- An adjustment of the STEP file is not necessary.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - STEP Postprocessor
- The COM/STEP STEP processor can be used in batch, interactive and java mode. The following descriptions refer to the Java GUI.
- Menu CATIA:
Set dimension of CATIA model to required values.
INDEX and DATA size should always be set to generous values (50000, 200000, or rather (100000, 200000).
- Menu Conversion:
Represent face identifier: NO
Supporting surface of face into: NOSHOW
- The import log file gives further information.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) – System
- Each component of an imported assembly is located in a separate workspace.
- The master workspace shows the whole assembly.
- To remove the text added to the model use: TEXT -> ERASE -> *FAC+*SUR etc.
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- With IDENTIFY look for received SOL, VOL or SKI.
- Use CATCLN.