The following settings are recommended up to Solid Edge ST 8 and NX 11
Solid Edge – System
- To make a geometry check in a Part go to Inspect -> Geometry Inspector…, select the part and click on the Go button.
- To make a collision checks in Assemblies go to Inspect -> Check Interference….
Solid Edge - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Choose AP214 class VI for the STEP export (AP203 is default).
- Depending on the model, choose one or more of the following options for the export:
- Export Solids: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as volume bodies exported (recommended).
- Export Sheets: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as sheet metal bodies exported.
- Export Wires: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as wireframe bodies exported.
- Tube Centerlines: it specifies that you want only design geometry exported, which is visible in the part or the assembly.
- Export Displayed Only: it specifies that you want only active model geometry and design geometry exported, which are visible in the part or in the assembly.
- A log file can be created by selecting Generate Log File. This one will be placed in the same directory of the STEP file.
- The option Export Units specifies the units of measurement for the part being exported. The standard is millimeters.
- User info like Author, Organization, etc. can be optionally added.
- In the filename syntax special characters must be avoided.
NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Start the external STEP postprocessor with Translator -> STEP AP214 and select Import.
- Select Edit -> Settings and define the options:
(or interactive from NX 8.5) To export a STEP File choose File -> Import ->STEP203 or STEP214.
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface and Wireframe (depending on model).
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- A*.log and a *.def file will be created in the same directory as the imported models.
- Validation properties are supported.
NX – System
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- By choosing the menu option: Information -> Object -> Type -> Solid Body -> Select all correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).
- By choosing the menu option Information -> Object -> Objects -> Select all after choosing the filter for Solid Body in Information -> Object -> Filters -> Type Filter correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).