The following settings are recommended up to Solid Edge ST 8 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
Solid Edge – System
- To make a geometry check in a Part go to Inspect -> Geometry Inspector…, select the part and click on the Go button.
- To make a collision checks in Assemblies go to Inspect -> Check Interference….
Solid Edge - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Choose AP214 class VI for the STEP export (AP203 is default).
- Depending on the model, choose one or more of the following options for the export:
- Export Solids: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as volume bodies exported (recommended).
- Export Sheets: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as sheet metal bodies exported.
- Export Wires: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as wireframe bodies exported.
- Tube Centerlines: it specifies that you want only design geometry exported, which is visible in the part or the assembly.
- Export Displayed Only: it specifies that you want only active model geometry and design geometry exported, which are visible in the part or in the assembly.
- A log file can be created by selecting Generate Log File. This one will be placed in the same directory of the STEP file.
- The option Export Units specifies the units of measurement for the part being exported. The standard is millimeters.
- User info like Author, Organization, etc. can be optionally added.
- No adjustment is necessary.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
- Two logfiles are generated (filename.ipr and stepoi.ipr):
- filename.ipr includes the import settings
- stepoi.ipr includes an import log
- The log files are written in the same directory as the STEP file.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing Module in Menu Surface Operators.
- If free edges are found in solid models, the Automatic Stitch-mechanism can be applied to merge free edges by changing default accuracy. For surface models, the edges that build the contour of the model remain free edges.