The following settings are recommended up to Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 / Creo Parametric 3.0 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
Pro/ENGINEER – System
- From the view of data exchange it is recommended to create models in Pro/ENGINEER with absolute accuracy from the beginning. The values should be 0.01mm or smaller.
- The setting enable_absolute_accuracy yes needs to be included in configuration file config.pro.
- There should be no layer named "255".
- Components of an assembly should have names no longer than 16 characters.
- To export mixed model structures, each model type should be saved as one part and transferred in assembly mode.
- To reduce the neutral file size (save time at import) use "Shrinkwrap functionality" or "Simplified Representation".
- Before export, check for highlighted menu option Info -> Geometry Checks for design problems. In Creo Parametric use File -> Prepare -> ModelCheck Geometry Check. Indicated features are likely to cause problems in the target system.
- Delete all non-referenced geometry and external reference. Do not use any suppressed construction geometry (activate all layers).
- If the model was created with relative accuracy, a conversion to its corresponding absolute accuracy might point out design problems.
- Force regeneration by selecting: Set Up -> Accuracy -> Absolute -> Enter value or, in Creo Parametric, File -> Prepare -> Model Properties.
- It is recommended to define therefore a specific start model.
Pro/ENGINEER / Creo Elements - STEP Preprocessor
- Some STEP specific settings can be added to the configuration file config.pro:
- With File -> Options -> Configuration Editor you can add the below mentioned settings in CREO Elements
- With Tools -> Options... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.
- With Utilities -> Options... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER 2001.
- With Utilities -> Preferences... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER 2000i².
- The default setting for STEP export is AP203. For AP214 export the following setting needs to be added to the Pro/ENGINEER configuration file config.pro:
- STEP_EXPORT_FORMAT AP214_IS
- Other recommended config.pro options are:
- intf3d_out_default_option solid
- intf3d_out_extend_surface yes
- intfd_out_blanked_entities no
- To export a STEP File:
- In Pro/ENGINEER 2001 and Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire and CREO Elements first select File -> Save a Copy... and then as Type choose STEP (*.stp). If not added in the config.pro yet, please select then Solid or Shell (for surface models) depending on the model type. The options Surface (default) and Wireframe should not be used.
- In Pro/ENGINEER 2000i² first select File -> Export -> ExportOpts and then choose STEP. If not added in the config.pro yet, please select then Solid or Shell (for surface models) depending on the model type. The options Surface (default) and Wireframe should not be used.
- If exporting an Assembly, choose Single File as File structure.
- In the Options for Pro/ENGINEER STEP Export choose "Solids" and "Shells". The Single Option "Solids" exports only exact Pro/ENGINEER solids, shells and surface will not be exported.
- To reduce file size (large STEP files cause often conversion problems because of memory limitations) export as multi STEP files with external references if post-processor supports this technology (very good results exporting to CATIA V5).
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
- Two logfiles are generated (filename.ipr and stepoi.ipr):
- filename.ipr includes the import settings
- stepoi.ipr includes an import log
- The log files are written in the same directory as the STEP file.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing Module in Menu Surface Operators.
- If free edges are found in solid models, the Automatic Stitch-mechanism can be applied to merge free edges by changing default accuracy. For surface models, the edges that build the contour of the model remain free edges.