The following settings are recommended up to CoCreate Modeling 16.5 and SolidWorks 2016.
OneSpace Designer – System
- Components of an assembly should have names no longer than 16 characters.
- System accuracy should be set prior to modelling.
- Recommended values are 10-6 mm, 10-5 mm, 10-4 mm.
- The smallest extent value (e.g. edge length) can be set under:
- SystemSetting ->Advisor/Check Setting -> min Edge
- All Advisor Checks (voids, nonmanifold, knife edge, min edge) should be active while modeling the part.
- Complete body checks should be done frequently during design and prior to export to STEP.
OneSpace Designer - STEP Preprocessor
- When invoking the STEP export choose as option target system e.g. (CATIA IBM) or CATIA (debis) or Pro/ENGINEER.
- If, in case of an assembly export, the option Assemblystructur/Shared Parts is set ON, individual colors of instances cannot be exported.
- If the target system cannot process assembly structure information or geometric transformation, then you should select NO to suppress this information.
- Hybrid models must be exported with multiple products. You can also use the Structure Browser to make your selection. If you try to specify a part by clicking in a viewpart, you will select only faces or edges instead of the whole part.
- No adjustment is necessary.
SolidWorks - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open… and select the file.
- Click on Options and the Import Options dialog box appears. Under General options following can be selected:
- Surface/solid entities: import surface and solid entities.
- B-Rep mapping: import the model using boundary representation. If not selected, SolidWorks attempts to knit surfaces into solids.
- Knit surfaces: imports as surfaces and tries to knit imported surfaces.
- Do not knit: imports as surfaces without knitting them.
- Free point/curve entities: imports free points and curve entities.
- Import as sketches
- Import as 3D curves
- Import multiple bodies as parts: Imports a multibody part as an assembly document. The multiple bodies are imported as part documents contained in the assembly. With this option cleared the multibody part imports as a part document that contains multiple imported bodies.
- Perform full entity check and repair errors: default is selected
- Customize curve tolerance: needed tolerance for the import can be entered here.
- Map configuration data (for STEP only): Imports STEP file configuration data plus geometric data. To import only the geometry this option must be left unchecked.
- The other available options are not applicable for the STEP import.
- Recommended options are to check Surface/solid entities, Try forming solids and Perform full entity check and repair errors.
SolidWorks – System
- Import errors are indicated in the history tree. By mouse right click over the model and choosing What’s wrong?, a detailed information will be displayed.
- Doing a Geometry check, the errors will be indicated in the model.