The following settings are recommended up to CoCreate Modeling 16.5 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
OneSpace Designer – System
- Components of an assembly should have names no longer than 16 characters.
- System accuracy should be set prior to modelling.
- Recommended values are 10-6 mm, 10-5 mm, 10-4 mm.
- The smallest extent value (e.g. edge length) can be set under:
- SystemSetting ->Advisor/Check Setting -> min Edge
- All Advisor Checks (voids, nonmanifold, knife edge, min edge) should be active while modeling the part.
- Complete body checks should be done frequently during design and prior to export to STEP.
OneSpace Designer - STEP Preprocessor
- When invoking the STEP export choose as option target system e.g. (CATIA IBM) or CATIA (debis) or Pro/ENGINEER.
- If, in case of an assembly export, the option Assemblystructur/Shared Parts is set ON, individual colors of instances cannot be exported.
- If the target system cannot process assembly structure information or geometric transformation, then you should select NO to suppress this information.
- Hybrid models must be exported with multiple products. You can also use the Structure Browser to make your selection. If you try to specify a part by clicking in a viewpart, you will select only faces or edges instead of the whole part.
- No adjustment is necessary.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
- Two logfiles are generated (filename.ipr and stepoi.ipr):
- filename.ipr includes the import settings
- stepoi.ipr includes an import log
- The log files are written in the same directory as the STEP file.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing Module in Menu Surface Operators.
- If free edges are found in solid models, the Automatic Stitch-mechanism can be applied to merge free edges by changing default accuracy. For surface models, the edges that build the contour of the model remain free edges.