The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V4.2.5 with COM/STEP 188.8.131.52 and NX 11
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - System
- No elements should be placed in NOSHOW/NOPICK.
- Model should be cleaned of all unused information, because the translator exports the complete content of CATIA-parts.
- Unused DETAILS (in all workspaces)
- Unused elements from NOSHOW (in all workspaces)
- Update SOLID-M into SOLID-E with CATSOE utility.
- Perform SOLIDE/UPDATE, also if message UPDATE ALREADY DONE appears. (Regeneration removes inconsistencies.)
- Generate Volumes from SOLID-E and delete SOLID-E in all workspaces. (Geometry is still exported as a solid in STEP.)
- Scaled and mirrored dittos (EXPLODE function) should not be used.
- Before export elements of special CATIA modules (e.g. PIPING, BUILDING DESIGN) need to be converted to STEP conform elements.
- Use CATCLN.
- Assembly structures in SETs should be transferred to DETAILS.
- Link all SETs if possible (SETS -> LINK).
- Solids/Volumes consisting of separate Bodies should be avoided.
- Objects used for Boolean operations should show good penetration.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - STEP Preprocessor
- The COM/STEP STEP Processor can be used in batch, interactive and Java mode. The following descriptions refer to the Java GUI.
- Menu STEP:
- Select AP214 Version IS
- Conformance Class: CC2 for geometry and CC20 for drawings
- Select Product Structure S3: Item_Definition_Structure for assemblies
- Geometry and topology: select G2, G3 and G5, do not select G4 and G7
- Menu Conversions
- Choose Solid as Target modeling system.
- INDEX and DATA size should always be set to generous values (50000, 200000).
- Exporting DETAIL/DITTO creates STEP assemblies with the top level product named after the CATIA model.
- In the filename syntax special characters (especially / * %) or umlauts must be avoided.
NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Start the external STEP postprocessor with Translator -> STEP AP214 and select Import.
- Select Edit -> Settings and define the options:
- (or interactive from NX 8.5) To import a STEP File choose File -> Import ->STEP203 or STEP214.
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface and Wireframe (depending on model).
- Validation properties are supported.
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- A *.log and a *.def file will be created in the same directory as the imported models.
NX – System
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- By choosing the menu option: Information -> Object -> Type -> Solid Body -> Select all correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).
- By choosing the menu option Information -> Object -> Objects -> Select all after choosing the filter for Solid Body in Information -> Object -> Filters -> Type Filter correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (same way with other model types).