The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V4.2.5 (Dassault) and NX 11
CATIA V4 (Dassault) - System
- No elements should be placed in NOSHOW/NOPICK.
- Model should be cleaned of all unused information, because the translator exports the complete content of CATIA-parts.->Delete:
- Unused DETAILS (in all workspaces)
- Unused elements from NOSHOW</> (in all workspaces)
- Update SOLID-M into SOLID-E with CATSOE utility.
- Perform SOLIDE/UPDATE, also if message UPDATE ALREADY DONE appears. (Regeneration removes inconsistencies.)
- Generate Volumes from SOLID-E and delete SOLID-E in all workspaces. (Geometry is still exported as a solid in STEP.)
- Scaled and mirrored dittos (EXPLODE function) should not be used.
- Before export elements of special CATIA modules (e.g. PIPING, BUILDING DESIGN) need to be converted to STEP compliant elements.
- Use CATCLN.
- Assembly structures in SETs should be transferred to DETAILS.
- All FILTERs should be deactivated (LAYER -> FILTER -> ALL).
- Solids/Volumes consisting of separate Bodies should be avoided.
- Objects used for Boolean operations should show good penetration.
CATIA V4 (Dassault) - STEP Preprocessor
- Option "Use Short Names" should be deselected (unless appropriate libraries are available).
- Recommended settings in Declaration File:
- In the filename syntax special characters (especially / * % ) or umlauts must be avoided.
- NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Start the external STEP postprocessor with Translator -> STEP AP214 and select Import.
- Select Edit -> Settings and define the options:
- (or interactive from NX 8.5) To export a STEP File choose File -> Import ->STEP203 or STEP214.
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface and Wireframe (depending on model).
- With the option Geometry: Sew surfaces it can be defined whether the translator sew the surfaces as they are imported or not. The default is not to sew surfaces.
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- A *.log and a *.def file will be created in the same directory as the imported models.
- Validation properties are supported.
NX - System
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- By choosing the menu option: Information -> Object -> Type -> Solid Body -> Select all correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types). (up to NX2)
- By choosing the menu option Information -> Object -> Objects -> Select all after choosing the filter for Solid Body in Information -> Object -> Filters -> Type Filter correctly transferred solids are identified with red color. (Same way with other model types).