The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and Autodesk Inventor 2017.
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- An adjustment of the STEP file is not necessary.
Inventor - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP File please choose File -> Open... and select STEP file
- It is recommended to import the STEP files first without any automatic healing (in options selectable).
- The import log file "filename.xli" gives further information.
Inventor – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.
- A volume calculation of the imported model gives more information about a successful import of a solid.