The following settings are recommended up to Solid Edge ST 8 and AutoCAD 2017/Mechanical Desktop 2017
Solid Edge – System
- To make a geometry check in a Part go to Inspect -> Geometry Inspector…, select the part and click on the Go button.
- To make a collision checks in Assemblies go to Inspect -> Check Interference….
Solid Edge - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Choose AP214 class VI for the STEP export (AP203 is default).
- Depending on the model, choose one or more of the following options for the export:
- Export Solids: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as volume bodies exported (recommended).
- Export Sheets: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as sheet metal bodies exported.
- Export Wires: it specifies that you want all existing design geometry as wireframe bodies exported.
- Tube Centerlines: it specifies that you want only design geometry exported, which is visible in the part or the assembly.
- Export Displayed Only: it specifies that you want only active model geometry and design geometry exported, which are visible in the part or in the assembly.
- A log file can be created by selecting Generate Log File. This one will be placed in the same directory of the STEP file.
- The option Export Units specifies the units of measurement for the part being exported. The standard is millimeters.
- User info like Author, Organization, etc. can be optionally added.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- An adjustment of the STEP file extension is not necessary.
AutoCAD/MDT - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP File you can choose Insert -> STEP... or the STEPIN in the command line.
- Sub-elements of objects cannot be colored individually in the system.
- Importing a product with multiple bodies, an assembly is created.
- The import log file "filename.xli" gives further information.
AutoCAD/MDT – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.