The following settings are recommended up to NX 11 and AutoCAD 2017/Mechanical Desktop 2017
NX – System
- Delete blanked elements before preprocessing.
- To transfer colors of assemblies the colors should be set and saved with the individual components, not the assembly.
- Note that NX uses the radius of a "tolerance tube", other CAD Systems like CATIA V4 define "tolerance" as the distance between two points.
- Select Analysis -> Examine Geometry -> all options -> all elements (up to NX2).
- Select Analysis -> examine Geometry -> Set All Checks (up to NX8.5) The marked elements are likely to cause problems with data exchange, depending on the messages as explained below:
- Severe errors:
data structures, consistency, face-face intersections, self-intersections
- Might cause problems:
tiny, face smoothness, spikes/cuts, edge tolerances
- Without negative influence on data exchange:
misaligned, sheet boundaries, edge smoothness
NX - STEP Preprocessor
- Start the external STEP processor with File -> Export -> STEP214.
- Select Data to Export and define the options:
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface, and Wireframe (depending on model).
- The default tolerance value in menu Advanced -> Parameters -> B-Spline Aprx. Tol. of 1.01*10-5 mm can cause to very large STEP files and should be reduced in such cases(recommended value: 10-3 mm).
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- Special characters in the filename of the STEP file are not allowed. The model will not be exported.
- Validation properties are supported.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- An adjustment of the STEP file extension is not necessary
AutoCAD/MDT - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP File you can choose Insert -> STEP... or the STEPIN in the command line.
- Sub-elements of objects cannot be colored individually in the system.
- Importing a product with multiple bodies, an assembly is created.
- The import log file "filename.xli" gives further information.
AutoCAD/MDT – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.