The following settings are recommended up to Autodesk Inventor 2017 and Solid Edge ST 8.
Inventor - System
- Only standard colors are transferred. Sub-elements of objects cannot be colored individually in the systems.
Inventor - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP File please choose File -> Save Copy as.. and the STEP file.
- The translator uses as default file extension *.stp.
- The default setting for STEP export is AP203. For AP214 export you should always use the latest STEP standard. In this case AP214 IS.
- The export log file "filename.xlo" gives further information.
- An adjustment of the STEP file is not necessary.
Solid Edge - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open, select the STEP file and go to Options. The Open File dialog box appears.
- These are the recommended options that must be selected:
- Generate Log File: to create a log file that contains warnings and information about the imported files. The name of the file is the .log and it is located in the same folder as the STEP file.
- Heal and Stitch: to heal and stitch the free surfaces to create a solid body. It is not required to specify a tolerance range.
- Simplify Geometry: replace the b-spline geometry from the model with simplified analytic geometry. This creates a smaller and more efficient model.
- In case of an assembly it is recommended to select the same Output Folder as the one where the imported *.asm file is going to be saved, otherwise the imported *.par files will be saved in the same folder as the STEP file.
- The New dialog box opens after choosing the STEP file. To import the model, a new part or assembly must be first created.
Solid Edge – System
- In case of an assembly a *.cfg file is created. This one contains the Display Configurations of the model.