The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V5R24 (V5-6R2014) (Dassault) and SolidWorks 2016.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) – System
- Model should be cleaned of all unlinked information
- Delete unused elements from the NOSHOW area.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) - STEP Preprocessor
- Recommended settings in the STEP export options (Tools -> Options...-> Compatibility…-> STEP) :
- Choose the respective Application Protocol (AP): AP203, AP242 or AP214 (recommended).
- When exporting assemblies choose One Step File, because CC6 (External references) is not supported from all STEP processors.
- Do not export the NO SHOW area (set Export all entities: off).
- Optionally define the Header of STEP file.
- Validation properties are supported.
- If export a CATProduct:
- The option "work with cache system" has to be switched off (Tools -> Options -> Infrastructure -> Cache Management)
- The root node has to be selected, otherwise only the node of the CATPart will be exported
- An adjustment of the STEP file extension is not necessary.
SolidWorks - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open… and select the file.
- Click on Options and the Import Options dialog box appears. Under General options following can be selected:
- Surface/solid entities: import surface and solid entities.
Try forming solids
B-Rep mapping: import the model using boundary representation. If not selected, SolidWorks attempts to knit surfaces into solids.
Knit surfaces: imports as surfaces and tries to knit imported surfaces.
Do not knit: imports as surfaces without knitting them.
- Free point/curve entities: imports free points and curve entities.
- Import as sketches
- Import as 3D curves
- Import multiple bodies as parts: Imports a multibody part as an assembly document. The multiple bodies are imported as part documents contained in the assembly. With this option cleared the multibody part imports as a part document that contains multiple imported bodies.
- Perform full entity check and repair errors: default is selected
- Customize curve tolerance: needed tolerance for the import can be entered here.
- Map configuration data (for STEP only): Imports STEP file configuration data plus geometric data. To import only the geometry this option must be left unchecked.
- The other available options are not applicable for the STEP import.
- Recommended options are to check Surface/solid entities, Try forming solids and Perform full entity check and repair errors.
SolidWorks – System
- Import errors are indicated in the history tree. By mouse right click over the model and choosing What’s wrong?, a detailed information will be displayed.
- Doing a Geometry check, the errors will be indicated in the model.