The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V4.2.5 with COM/STEP 220.127.116.11 and Solid Edge ST 8.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - System
- No elements should be placed in NOSHOW/NOPICK.
- Model should be cleaned of all unused information, because the translator exports the complete content of CATIA-parts.
- Unused DETAILS (in all workspaces)
- Unused elements from NOSHOW (in all workspaces)
- Update SOLID-M into SOLID-E with CATSOE utility.
- Perform SOLIDE/UPDATE, also if message UPDATE ALREADY DONE appears. (Regeneration removes inconsistencies.)
- Generate Volumes from SOLID-E and delete SOLID-E in all workspaces. (Geometry is still exported as a solid in STEP.)
- Scaled and mirrored dittos (EXPLODE function) should not be used.
- Before export elements of special CATIA modules (e.g. PIPING, BUILDING DESIGN) need to be converted to STEP conform elements.
- Use CATCLN.
- Assembly structures in SETs should be transferred to DETAILS.
- Link all SETs if possible (SETS -> LINK).
- Solids/Volumes consisting of separate Bodies should be avoided.
- Objects used for Boolean operations should show good penetration.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - STEP Preprocessor
- The COM/STEP STEP Processor can be used in batch, interactive and Java mode. The following descriptions refer to the Java GUI.
- Menu STEP:
- Select AP214 Version IS
- Conformance Class: CC2 for geometry and CC20 for drawings
- Select Product Structure S3: Item_Definition_Structure for assemblies
- Geometry and topology: select G2, G3 and G5, do not select G4 and G7
- Menu Conversions
- Choose Solid as Target modeling system.
- INDEX and DATA size should always be set to generous values (50000, 200000).
- Exporting DETAIL/DITTO creates STEP assemblies with the top level product named after the CATIA model.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
Solid Edge - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open, select the STEP file and go to Options. The Open File dialog box appears.
- These are the recommended options that must be selected:
- Generate Log File: to create a log file that contains warnings and information about the imported files. The name of the file is the .log and it is located in the same folder as the STEP file.
- Heal and Stitch: to heal and stitch the free surfaces to create a solid body. It is not required to specify a tolerance range.
- Simplify Geometry: replace the b-spline geometry from the model with simplified analytic geometry. This creates a smaller and more efficient model.
- In case of an assembly it is recommended to select the same Output Folder as the one where the imported *.asm file is going to be saved, otherwise the imported *.par files will be saved in the same folder as the STEP file.
- The New dialog box opens after choosing the STEP file. To import the model, a new part or assembly must be first created.
Solid Edge – System
- In case of an assembly a *.cfg file is created. This one contains the Display Configurations of the model.