The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V4.2.5 (Dassault) and CoCreate Modeling 16.5.
CATIA V4 (Dassault) - System
- No elements should be placed in NOSHOW/NOPICK.
- Model should be cleaned of all unused information, because the translator exports the complete content of CATIA-parts. Delete:
- Unused DETAILS (in all workspaces)
- Unused elements from NOSHOW (in all workspaces)
- Update SOLID-M into SOLID-E with CATSOE utility.
- Perform SOLIDE/UPDATE, also if message UPDATE ALREADY DONE appears. (Regeneration removes inconsistencies.)
- Generate Volumes from SOLID-E and delete SOLID-E in all workspaces. (Geometry is still exported as a solid in STEP.)
- Scaled and mirrored dittos (EXPLODE function) should not be used.
- Before export elements of special CATIA modules (e.g. PIPING, BUILDING DESIGN) need to be converted to STEP conform elements.
- Use CATCLN.
- Assembly structures in SETs should be transferred to DETAILS.
- Link all SETs if possible (SETS -> LINK).
- Solids/Volumes consisting of separate Bodies should be avoided.
- Objects used for Boolean operations should show good penetration.
- Option "Use Short Names" should be deselected (unless appropriate libraries are available).
- Recommended settings in Declaration File:
- No adjustment is necessary.
OneSpace Designer - STEP Postprocessor
- The properties for STEP import can be found in the file -> open -> options dialog
- Set the accuracy to automatic (default) to use the accuracy of the STEP file.
- If the accuracy is customized, make sure that the accuracy setting is the same or less than the accuracies setting used to generate the part being loaded.
- When associated messages are returned during the import of the STEP file the accuracy should be adjusted.
- If a product with multiple bodies is imported, Solid Designer creates an assembly.
- Blended edges are not recognized as such, and it is not possible to modify blends using standard OneSpace Designer.
- The import log file "step_load_log" gives further information.
OneSpace Designer – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.
- To ensure the model quality is OK a complete model check should be performed.