The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V4.2.5 with COM/STEP 220.127.116.11 and Autodesk Inventor 2017.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - System
- No elements should be placed in NOSHOW/NOPICK.
- Model should be cleaned of all unused information, because the translator exports the complete content of CATIA-parts.
- Unused DETAILS (in all workspaces)
- Unused elements from NOSHOW (in all workspaces)
- Update SOLID-M into SOLID-E with CATSOE utility.
- Perform SOLIDE/UPDATE, also if message UPDATE ALREADY DONE appears. (Regeneration removes inconsistencies.)
- Generate Volumes from SOLID-E and delete SOLID-E in all workspaces. (Geometry is still exported as a solid in STEP.)
- Scaled and mirrored dittos (EXPLODE function) should not be used.
- Before export elements of special CATIA modules (e.g. PIPING, BUILDING DESIGN) need to be converted to STEP conform elements.
- Use CATCLN.
- Assembly structures in SETs should be transferred to DETAILS.
- Link all SETs if possible (SETS -> LINK).
- Solids/Volumes consisting of separate Bodies should be avoided.
- Objects used for Boolean operations should show good penetration.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - STEP Preprocessor
- The COM/STEP STEP Processor can be used in batch, interactive and Java mode. The following descriptions refer to the Java GUI.
- Menu STEP:
- Select AP214 Version IS
- Conformance Class: CC2 for geometry and CC20 for drawings
- Select Product Structure S3: Item_Definition_Structure for assemblies
- Geometry and topology: select G2, G3 and G5, do not select G4 and G7
- Menu Conversions
- Choose Solid as Target modeling system.
- INDEX and DATA size should always be set to generous values (50000, 200000).
- Exporting DETAIL/DITTO creates STEP assemblies with the top level product named after the CATIA model.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
Inventor - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP File please choose File -> Open... and select STEP file.
- It is recommended to import the STEP files first without any automatic healing (in options selectable).
- The import log file "filename.xli" gives further information.
Inventor – System
- Shaded view is helpful and gives a first impression of the model quality.
- A volume calculation of the imported model gives more information about a successful import of a solid.