The following settings are recommended up to AutoCAD 2017/Mechanical Desktop 2017 and SolidWorks 2016
AutoCAD/MDT – System
- Delete all non-referenced geometry.
- Please activate all the layers with features to be exported.
- Only standard colors are transferred. Sub-elements of objects cannot be colored individually in the systems.
- Models are exported as an assembly.
- Please execute "AMUPDATE" to update the model geometry.
- Use AMREPLAY to regenerate the model step by step. This helps to identify corrupt features in the overall context of the design progress.
- Use AMSANITYCHECK to count the numbers of shells within the model. Usually a MD model should contain only one shell. Exception: Intended voids.
AutoCAD/MDT - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP File you can choose File -> Export -> STEP or the STEPOUT in the command line.
- The STEP standard can be chosen in the OPTIONs menu.
- The translator uses a default file extension of *.stp when processing STEP file names entered on the command line.
- The default setting for STEP export is AP214.
- No adjustment is necessary.
SolidWorks - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open… and select the file.
- Click on Options and the Import Options dialog box appears. Under General options following can be selected:
- Surface/solid entities: import surface and solid entities.
- B-Rep mapping: import the model using boundary representation. If not selected, SolidWorks attempts to knit surfaces into solids.
- Knit surfaces: imports as surfaces and tries to knit imported surfaces.
- Do not knit: imports as surfaces without knitting them.
- Free point/curve entities: imports free points and curve entities.
- Import as sketches
- Import as 3D curves
- Import multiple bodies as parts: Imports a multibody part as an assembly document. The multiple bodies are imported as part documents contained in the assembly. With this option cleared the multibody part imports as a part document that contains multiple imported bodies.
- Perform full entity check and repair errors: default is selected
- Customize curve tolerance: needed tolerance for the import can be entered here.
- Map configuration data (for STEP only): Imports STEP file configuration data plus geometric data. To import only the geometry this option must be left unchecked.
- The other available options are not applicable for the STEP import.
- Recommended options are to check Surface/solid entities, Try forming solids and Perform full entity check and repair errors.
SolidWorks – System
- Import errors are indicated in the history tree. By mouse right click over the model and choosing What’s wrong?, a detailed information will be displayed.
- Doing a Geometry check, the errors will be indicated in the model.