The following settings are recommended up to AutoCAD 2017/Mechanical Desktop 2017 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
AutoCAD/MDT - System
- Delete all non-referenced geometry.
- Please activate all the layers with features to be exported.
- Only standard colors are transferred. Subelements of objects cannot be colored individually in the systems.
- Hybrid models are exported as an assembly.
- Please execute "AMUPDATE" to update the model geometry.
- Use AMREPLAY to regenerate the model step by step. This helps to identify corrupt features in the overall context of the design progress.
- Use AMSANITYCHECK to count the numbers of shells within the model. Usually a MD model should contain only one shell. Exception: Intended voids.
AutoCAD/MDT - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP File you can choose File -> Export -> STEP or the STEPOUT in the command line.
- The STEP standard can be chosen in the OPTIONs menu.
- The translator uses a default file extension of *.stp when processing STEP file names entered on the command line.
- The default setting for STEP export is AP214
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing> Module in Menu Surface Operators.