The following settings are recommended up to SolidWorks 2016 and CATIA V4.2.5 (Dassault).
SolidWorks – System
SolidWorks - STEP Preprocessor
- To export a STEP file choose File -> Save as..., as file type choose STEP-Format (step, stp) and go to Options. A new dialog box appears.
- Under Output as the following options can be selected:
- Solid/Surface geometry: the geometry will be exported as solid and surface bodies. This is the recommended option.
- 3D curves: solid and surface bodies will be exported as wireframe entities and all 3D curves are also saved.
- Export sketch entities: export all the items in 3D curves, plus all 2D and 3D sketches in the document.
- Output coordinate system: by selecting default, no transformation matrix will be applied.
- Export face/edge properties: Exports face and edge properties. Clear this option to improve export performance.
- Split periodic faces: Splits periodic faces, such as cylindrical faces, into two. Splitting a periodic face can improve the quality of the export but can affect performance.
- In the filename syntax special characters (especially / * %) or umlauts must be avoided.
- The STEP file extension must be changed to *.step.
CATIA V4 (Dassault) - STEP Postprocessor
- Identical curve tolerance should be set according to desired model space. (default: 0.1 corresponds to 10m model space)
- Recommended settings in declaration file:
- st1cat.EXACT_SOLIDS_CREATION=TRUE (creates SOL instead of VOL)
- The log file filename.log gives hints about translation success. Check for converted/failed STEP entities in the summary at the end of the file.
CATIA V4 (Dassault) – System
- Each component of an imported assembly is located in a separate workspace.
- The master workspace shows the whole assembly.
- To remove the text added to the model use: TEXT -> ERASE -> *FAC+*SUR etc.
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- With IDENTIFY look for received SOL, VOL or SKI.
- Use CATCLN.