The following settings are recommended up to Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 / Creo Parametric 3.0 and CATIA V4.2.5 with COM/STEP 18.104.22.168.
Pro/ENGINEER – System
- From the view of data exchange it is recommended to create models in Pro/ENGINEER with absolute accuracy from the beginning. The values should be 0.01mm or smaller.
- The setting enable_absolute_accuracy yes needs to be included in configuration file config.pro.
- There should be no layer named "255".
- Components of an assembly should have names no longer than 16 characters.
- To export mixed model structures, each model type should be saved as one part and transferred in assembly mode.
- To reduce the neutral file size (save time at import) use "Shrinkwrap functionality" or "Simplified Representation".
- Before export, check for highlighted menu option Info -> Geometry Checks for design problems. In Creo Parametric use File -> Prepare -> ModelCheck Geometry Check. Indicated features are likely to cause problems in the target system.
- Delete all non-referenced geometry and external reference. Do not use any suppressed construction geometry (activate all layers).
- If the model was created with relative accuracy, a conversion to its corresponding absolute accuracy might point out design problems.
- Force regeneration by selecting: Set Up -> Accuracy -> Absolute -> Enter value or, in Creo Parametric, File -> Prepare -> Model Properties.
- It is recommended to define therefore a specific start model.
Pro/ENGINEER / Creo Elements - STEP Preprocessor
- Some STEP specific settings can be added to the configuration file config.pro:
- With File -> Options -> Configuration Editor you can add the below mentioned settings in CREO Elements
- With Tools -> Options... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.
- With Utilities -> Options... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER 2001.
- With Utilities -> Preferences... you can add the below mentioned settings in Pro/ENGINEER 2000i².
- The default setting for STEP export is AP203. For AP214 export the following setting needs to be added to the Pro/ENGINEER configuration file config.pro:
- STEP_EXPORT_FORMAT AP214_IS
- Other recommended config.pro options are:
- intf3d_out_default_option solid
- intf3d_out_extend_surface yes
- intfd_out_blanked_entities no
- To export a STEP File:
- In Pro/ENGINEER 2001 and Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire and CREO Elements first select File -> Save a Copy... and then as Type choose STEP (*.stp). If not added in the config.pro yet, please select then Solid or Shell (for surface models) depending on the model type. The options Surface (default) and Wireframe should not be used.
- In Pro/ENGINEER 2000i² first select File -> Export -> ExportOpts and then choose STEP. If not added in the config.pro yet, please select then Solid or Shell (for surface models) depending on the model type. The options Surface (default) and Wireframe should not be used.
- If exporting an Assembly, choose Single File as File structure.
- In the Options for Pro/ENGINEER STEP Export choose "Solids" and "Shells". The Single Option "Solids" exports only exact Pro/ENGINEER solids, shells and surface will not be exported.
- To reduce file size (large STEP files cause often conversion problems because of memory limitations) export as multi STEP files with external references if post-processor supports this technology (very good results exporting to CATIA V5).
- No adjustment is necessary.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) - STEP Postprocessor
- The COM/STEP STEP processor can be used in batch, interactive and java mode. The following descriptions refer to the Java GUI.
- Menu CATIA:
Set dimension of CATIA model to required values.
INDEX and DATA size should always be set to generous values (50000, 200000, or rather (100000, 200000).
- Menu Conversion:
Represent face identifier: NO
Supporting surface of face into: NOSHOW
- The import log file gives further information.
CATIA V4 (T-Systems) – System
- Each component of an imported assembly is located in a separate workspace.
- The master workspace shows the whole assembly.
- To remove the text added to the model use: TEXT -> ERASE -> *FAC+*SUR etc.
- Shaded view is helpful for a first impression of model quality.
- With IDENTIFY look for received SOL, VOL or SKI.
- Use CATCLN.