The following settings are recommended up to NX 11 and Solid Edge ST 8.
NX – System
- Delete blanked elements before preprocessing.
- To transfer colors of assemblies the colors should be set and saved with the individual components, not the assembly.
- Note that NX uses the radius of a "tolerance tube", other CAD Systems like CATIA V4 define "tolerance" as the distance between two points.
- Select Analysis -> Examine Geometry -> all options -> all elements (up to NX2).
- Select Analysis -> examine Geometry -> Set All Checks (up to NX8.5) The marked elements are likely to cause problems with data exchange, depending on the messages as explained below:
- Severe errors:
data structures, consistency, face-face intersections, self-intersections
- Might cause problems:
tiny, face smoothness, spikes/cuts, edge tolerances
- Without negative influence on data exchange:
misaligned, sheet boundaries, edge smoothness
NX - STEP Preprocessor
- Start the external STEP processor with File -> Export -> STEP214.
- Select Data to Export and define the options:
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface, and Wireframe (depending on model).
- The default tolerance value in menu Advanced -> Parameters -> B-Spline Aprx. Tol. of 1.01*10-5 mm can cause to very large STEP files and should be reduced in such cases(recommended value: 10-3 mm).
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- Special characters in the filename of the STEP file are not allowed. The model will not be exported.
- Validation properties are supported.
- An adjustment of the STEP file is not necessary.
Solid Edge - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open, select the STEP file and go to Options. The Open File dialog box appears.
- These are the recommended options that must be selected:
- Generate Log File: to create a log file that contains warnings and information about the imported files. The name of the file is the .log and it is located in the same folder as the STEP file.
- Heal and Stitch: to heal and stitch the free surfaces to create a solid body. It is not required to specify a tolerance range.
- Simplify Geometry: replace the b-spline geometry from the model with simplified analytic geometry. This creates a smaller and more efficient model.
- In case of an assembly it is recommended to select the same Output Folder as the one where the imported *.asm file is going to be saved, otherwise the imported *.par files will be saved in the same folder as the STEP file.
- The New dialog box opens after choosing the STEP file. To import the model, a new part or assembly must be first created.
Solid Edge – System
- In case of an assembly a *.cfg file is created. This one contains the Display Configurations of the model.