The following settings are recommended up to NX 11 and I-DEAS 12 NX Series.
NX – System
- Delete blanked elements before preprocessing.
- To transfer colors of assemblies the colors should be set and saved with the individual components, not the assembly.
- Note that NX uses the radius of a "tolerance tube", other CAD Systems like CATIA V4 define "tolerance" as the distance between two points.
- Select Analysis -> Examine Geometry -> all options -> all elements (up to NX2).
- Select Analysis -> examine Geometry -> Set All Checks (up to NX8.5) The marked elements are likely to cause problems with data exchange, depending on the messages as explained below:
- Severe errors:
data structures, consistency, face-face intersections, self-intersections
- Might cause problems:
tiny, face smoothness, spikes/cuts, edge tolerances
- Without negative influence on data exchange:
misaligned, sheet boundaries, edge smoothness
NX - STEP Preprocessor
- Start the external STEP processor with File -> Export -> STEP214.
- Select Data to Export and define the options:
- Object Types: One or more of the options Solid, Product Data, Surface, and Wireframe (depending on model).
- The default tolerance value in menu Advanced -> Parameters -> B-Spline Aprx. Tol. of 1.01*10-5 mm can cause to very large STEP files and should be reduced in such cases(recommended value: 10-3 mm).
- Recommended is to use the default settings in menu Translation Control (Tolerant Modeling).
- Special characters in the filename of the STEP file are not allowed. The model will not be exported.
- Validation properties are supported.
- STEP files using either version (CD or DIS) can be imported.
- The STEP filename including path should not exceed 41 Characters.
- The STEP filename should not contain: equal sign (=), colon (:), semicolon (;), asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation marks (""), or comma(,);
- There must be no spaces in the STEP filename.
- The extension *.step of the STEP files must be renamed to *.stp.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Postprocessor
- Save reminder (Options/Preferences/Data Management/ Save reminder every) should be turned off since the translator stops for every alike message.
- In Menu STEP Export Settings AP214 several options for the used units of functionality can be set.
- A change of the default options is only necessary in case of unsuccessful results.
- If the import was successful, you will get a confirmation message.
- Two logfiles are generated (filename.ipr and stepoi.ipr):
- filename.ipr includes the import settings
- stepoi.ipr includes an import log
- The log files are written in the same directory as the STEP file.
I-DEAS NX - System
- A part is automatically generated from the filename on import.
- If the part name duplicates an existing part name, the part is renamed "Duplicate Part Name X", where X is a sequential number (X=0 for the first duplicate).
- On each import, a new part is created even if the parts are identical. Therefore, the part names must be different.
- Shaded view gives hints about possible defects.
- Use the Automatic Stitch-mechanism for information about open gaps and remaining free edges. It is found in Master Surfacing Module in Menu Surface Operators.
- If free edges are found in solid models, the Automatic Stitch-mechanism can be applied to merge free edges by changing default accuracy. For surface models, the edges that build the contour of the model remain free edges.