The following settings are recommended up to I-DEAS 12 NX Series and Solid Edge ST 8.
I-DEAS NX – System
- In case of a multi-solid part the solids should be joined. Otherwise not all the solids are exported.
I-DEAS NX - STEP Preprocessor
- In Menu STEP AP214 representations there are options for the used units of functionality and geometry. The default values should only be changed in case of unsuccessful results.
- The filename, including path, should be no longer than 80 characters.
- Two export log files are written (filename.opr and stepoi.opr).
- filename.opr includes the used export parameter set and a list of the IDEAS entities, that were written.
- stepoi.opr includes a list of the STEP entities, that were generated and a list of errors.
- These files are placed in the same directory as the exported STEP file.
- No adjustment is necessary.
Solid Edge - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open, select the STEP file and go to Options. The Open File dialog box appears.
- These are the recommended options that must be selected:
- Generate Log File: to create a log file that contains warnings and information about the imported files. The name of the file is the .log and it is located in the same folder as the STEP file.
- Heal and Stitch: to heal and stitch the free surfaces to create a solid body. It is not required to specify a tolerance range.
- Simplify Geometry: replace the b-spline geometry from the model with simplified analytic geometry. This creates a smaller and more efficient model.
- In case of an assembly it is recommended to select the same Output Folder as the one where the imported *.asm file is going to be saved, otherwise the imported *.par files will be saved in the same folder as the STEP file.
- The New dialog box opens after choosing the STEP file. To import the model, a new part or assembly must be first created.
Solid Edge – System
- In case of an assembly a *.cfg file is created. This one contains the Display Configurations of the model.