The following settings are recommended up to CATIA V5R24 (V5-6R2014) (Dassault) and Solid Edge ST 8.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) – System
- Model should be cleaned of all unlinked information
- Delete unused elements from the NOSHOW area.
CATIA V5 (Dassault) - STEP Preprocessor
- Recommended settings in the STEP export options (Tools -> Options...-> Compatibility…-> STEP) :
- Choose the respective Application Protocol (AP): AP203, AP242 or AP214 (recommended).
- When exporting assemblies choose One Step File, because CC6 (External references) is not supported from all STEP processors.
- Do not export the NO SHOW area (set Export all entities: off).
- Optionally define the Header of STEP file.
- Validation properties are supported.
- If export a CATProduct:
- The option "work with cache system" has to be switched off (Tools -> Options -> Infrastructure -> Cache Management)
- The root node has to be selected, otherwise only the node of the CATPart will be exported
- An adjustment of the STEP file extension is not necessary.
Solid Edge - STEP Postprocessor
- To import a STEP file go to File -> Open, select the STEP file and go to Options. The Open File dialog box appears.
- These are the recommended options that must be selected:
- Generate Log File: to create a log file that contains warnings and information about the imported files. The name of the file is the .log and it is located in the same folder as the STEP file.
- Heal and Stitch: to heal and stitch the free surfaces to create a solid body. It is not required to specify a tolerance range.
- Simplify Geometry: replace the b-spline geometry from the model with simplified analytic geometry. This creates a smaller and more efficient model.
- In case of an assembly it is recommended to select the same Output Folder as the one where the imported *.asm file is going to be saved, otherwise the imported *.par files will be saved in the same folder as the STEP file.
- The New dialog box opens after choosing the STEP file. To import the model, a new part or assembly must be first created.
Solid Edge – System
- In case of an assembly a *.cfg file is created. This one contains the Display Configurations of the model.